Diploma in Esoteric History
This Diploma is by independent distance learning (home study). No textbooks or course materials are supplied. The course will be completed by writing an extended essay based on your previous knowledge. The course is offered without tutor support.
The Diploma is suitable for people with relevant knowledge and experience seeking a qualification which can be gained through writing an extended essay showing historical knowledge of one or more esoteric or spiritual movements. Possible examples of study themes may be (but are not limited to): Theosophy, Rosicrucianism, Freemasonry, Spiritualism, Spiritism (Kardecism), Kabbalah, Golden Dawn, Hermeticism, Druidism.
An essay of at least 6,000 words will be required that includes most or all of the following points:
- What is the movement’s story or myth of origin?
- What are the main points of its philosophy?
- Brief biographical sketches of its key figures
- Beliefs or principles of the movement
- Main practices of the movement
- How the movement differs from its rivals or from similar movements
- Key alleged hidden or ascended masters or similar figures
- Ethics and duties of members towards each other and towards the wider world
- Grades of membership if any
- Initiations and ceremonies if any
- Most important buildings associated with the movement
- History of the movement since its foundation or emergence
- The movement’s influence on society in previous centuries
- The movement’s expression in the 20th and 21st centuries
- Has interest in the movement increased or declined? Give reasons.
- Role of women and minorities in the movement
- What has the movement to offer a seeker today, if it still exists?
- Attitudes of the movement towards religion
- Attitudes of the movement towards science
- Attitudes of the movement towards health
- Historical disputes with rival movements
- Controversies and criticisms
If your essay specialises in a particular esoteric, occult or New Age movement, your Diploma may be inscribed with your concentration of study, for example, Diploma in Esoteric History (Theosophical Studies). If you wish to study another movement by writing another essay, you may re-enrol and gain a further Diploma in Esoteric History noting the name of your second specialist topic.
You can apply at any time. Some students will want to apply before commencing their work on the essay because having subscribed to the course will help to motivate them to complete it. Others may wish to wait until they have done the essay and then apply, sending the essay at the same time by email. Choose the method that works best for you, though enrolling for your course first will enable us to send you some helpful information that will increase your chances of passing the course. Most people will be able to complete an essay within a few weeks.
Useful essay writing and study skills links can be found in our links page.
A printed diploma will be supplied to successful graduates of the course and will be sent by post. The price for UK students includes postage. Extra postage is charged for overseas destinations. A transcript giving the highlights of the course requirements will be supplied with the certificate.
The certificate will bear the main logo of Conscious Courses and also be inscribed with the details of UK College of Holistic Training, its registered learning provider number, accreditation details and the relevant website addresses.
All diplomas in the "Conscious Courses" range have the same tuition fee as follows:
UK & IRELAND STUDENTS - FULL FEE £ 63.00 (63
UK & IRELAND STUDENTS - CONCESSIONARY FEE (low incomes) - £ 37.00 (37 pounds sterling)
OVERSEAS STUDENTS - FULL FEE including AIR MAIL
postage of diploma and transcript:
GBP (Pounds Sterling) 68.00
OVERSEAS STUDENTS - CONCESSIONARY FEE (low incomes) - GBP (Pounds Sterling) 42.00 including AIR MAIL postage of diploma and transcript - concessionary overseas fees accepted by PAYPAL ONLY PLEASE.
For currency conversions please see www.xe.com
There will be no extra fee for assessment and issue of the certificate.
A brochure giving the details appearing here plus further advice and a list of some suggested (not compulsory) reading will be emailed to the applicant on receipt of payment. (The brochure is not the purchased item: the purchased item is the educational service that we offer plus the physical diploma which will be sent by post on completion of the course).
To apply/pay for the course please go to our application page.