Diploma in Spiritual Counselling
This Diploma is by independent distance learning (home study). No textbooks or course materials are supplied. The course will be completed by writing an extended essay based on your previous knowledge. The course is offered without tutor support.
The Diploma is suitable for people with sound relevant knowledge and experience seeking a qualification in spiritual counselling which can be gained through writing an extended essay showing knowledge of the principles of counselling theory and practice and the application of one or more spiritual dimensions of counselling. There are many possible models of spiritual counselling and no single model can claim to be the only valid form of spiritual counselling.
The spiritual aspect(s) of counselling to be outlined in the essay will need to focus on the spiritual development and awareness of the client. This diploma does not concentrate on psychic readings or mediumship. The focus should be on the counsellor respecting the spirituality of the client, enabling the client to get in touch with his/her spiritual side and using the client’s own inner spiritual resources for stress management, problem solving and self-development.
Spiritual counselling, as we see it, is not religious counselling. It does not depend on the scriptures or laws of any organised religion but draws upon the ability to facilitate the client’s connection with his/her spiritual inner nature. It does not involve dogma or preaching. Many people do not practise or belong to organised religion but nevertheless regard themselves as "spiritual or "holistic".
An essay of at least 6,000 words will be required that includes most or all of the following points:
- Awareness of the fundamental skills of professional counselling including listening skills
- Awareness of how to gain rapport with the client
- Awareness of how to ask open-ended and facilitating questions
- Awareness of counselling ethics including confidentiality and professional boundaries
- Awareness of how to stay within one’s sphere of competence and when to refer people who have issues outside one’s competence
- Awareness of how to manage intuition and to present any intuited insights tentatively without presenting them as facts that the client must accept
- Knowledge of at least one system of spiritual counselling (examples: mindfulness-based approaches, forgiveness-based approaches, psychosynthesis, shamanic counselling, New Thought counselling, spiritual life coaching, EFT for spiritual issues, life purpose counselling/coaching or any other spiritual system with counselling or coaching applications, or counselling/psychotherapeutic/coaching system with spiritual applications).
- An outline of the student’s own understanding of the theory and functions of spiritual counselling as he/she applies it.
- An awareness of models other than the one you personally use.
- At least two case examples of applied spiritual counselling in action.
- An account of the student’s own development as a spiritual counsellor and how he/she might continue his/her learning and professional development in the future.
You will retain copyright of your work.
(Established practitioners with recognised qualifications may submit a previously written work or collection of articles, etc. in lieu of the required essay. If you wish to do this, ask us for instructions when sending your payment. If we do not consider the submitted material adequate we may still ask you to do the required essay.)
The diploma essay will be assessed by a qualified and accredited counsellor who is also qualified as an NLP Master Practitioner, Hypnotherapist, Life Coach, EFT Practitioner, Reiki Master, and Past Life Healer, together with other qualifications, and has a varied background of spiritual study. He has practiced psychotherapy and hypnotherapy since the early 1980s and has been developing and tutoring distance learning courses since 1994.
You can apply at any time. Some students will want to apply before commencing their work on the essay because having subscribed to the course will help to motivate them to complete it. Others may wish to wait until they have done the essay and then apply, sending the essay at the same time by email. Choose the method that works best for you, though enrolling for your course first will enable us to send you some helpful information that will increase your chances of passing the course. Most people will be able to complete an essay within a few weeks.
Useful essay writing and study skills links can be found in our links page.
A printed diploma will be supplied to successful graduates of the course and will be sent by post. The price for UK students includes postage. Extra postage is charged for overseas destinations. A transcript giving the highlights of the course requirements will be supplied with the certificate.
The certificate will bear the main logo of Conscious Courses and also be inscribed with the details of UK College of Holistic Training, its registered learning provider number, accreditation details and the relevant website addresses.
If the graduate wishes to join a professional association, suitable associations in the UK and overseas can be recommended.
This is one of the first Conscious Courses diplomas and others will be listed on this site.
All diplomas in the "Conscious Courses" range have the same tuition fee as follows:
UK & IRELAND STUDENTS - FULL FEE £ 63.00 (63
UK & IRELAND STUDENTS - CONCESSIONARY FEE (low incomes) - £ 37.00 (37 pounds sterling)
OVERSEAS STUDENTS - FULL FEE including AIR MAIL
postage of diploma and transcript:
GBP (Pounds Sterling) 68.00
OVERSEAS STUDENTS - CONCESSIONARY FEE (low incomes) - GBP (Pounds Sterling) 42.00 including AIR MAIL postage of diploma and transcript - concessionary overseas fees accepted by PAYPAL ONLY PLEASE.
For currency conversions please see www.xe.com
There will be no extra fee for assessment and issue of the certificate.
A brochure giving the details appearing here plus further advice and a list of some suggested (not compulsory) reading will be emailed to the applicant on receipt of payment. (The brochure is not the purchased item: the purchased item is the educational service that we offer plus the physical diploma which will be sent by post on completion of the course).
To apply/pay for the course please go to our application page.